Sunday, September 27, 2009

Jill Berry's Workshop

Last weekend my friends Phyllis and Jody went to San Diego to take a workshop with Jill Berry. This is the second time I’ve taken a class with Jill. She is a delightful teacher and very interesting woman.

In one workshop, we painted papers with a mixture of paste/acrylic paints. I love the way the paint is absorbed into the paper, leaving it velvety and pliable, not sticky and stiff, like with acrylic paints alone.

In the other workshop, called “All the Elements Book”, we created an illustrated page using symbols from a variety of cultures. My symbols are based on the Bamum Script – ideograms invented by King Ibrahim Njoya, the ruler of the Bamum people in Cameroon in 1896. I added some of my own personal symbols as well.

This page was used to create folios for a book made with a wood spine embellished with charms and beads. I added the text today and cover today to finish the book. The text is an excerpt from “Ode” by Arthur O’Shaughnessy.
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.



These words speak to me and remind me that for centuries, humans have communicated through symbols and written word, to try and make sense of the world we live in.

No comments: