Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Florence

Florence was both a joy and a disappointment. Because I've wanted to go there for so long, it was exciting as we entered the city. However, within an hour I knew there would not be enough time to really see and enjoy it. One day is simply not enough to take it all in.

According to Wikipedia, Florence was originally established by Julius Caesar in 59 BC as a settlement for his veteran soldiers. The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore is the cathedral church (Duomo) of Florence begun in 1296 in the Gothic style to the design of Arnolfo di Cambio and completed structurally in 1436 with the dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi.



The Cathedral, called "il Duomo" from the Latin word domus, house, for house of God, not because of the dome.


Ponte Vecchio ... this was a thrilling sight ... such a famous photograph and here I was taking my own photos and walking on the bridge. It is at moments like this that I know why I love to travel.


I chose not to take the tour of the Accademia dell'Arte del Disegno because I'd had enough of being rushed. So I basked in the replica of David in the Piazza della Signoria. Oh, so perfect :-).



The piazza is filled with statuary!



And the Basilica of Santa Croce, originally a Franciscan foundation, contains the monumental tombs of Galileo, Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Dante, and many other notables.

So, I hope one day to return and spend a few days, perhaps taking cooking or art lessons?

No comments: