Sunday, February 11, 2007

Heart Art I - ATCs


About a week and a half ago I added my name to a challenge with the yahoo group Art Techniques. I signed up for a February ATC swap, using techniques from Bernie Berlin’s ATC book. I thought it would be a lot of fun to challenge myself to use the techniques and to do ATCs, which are so popular. It would also force myself to send my work out into the world. My first attempt was a failure because it was larger than the 2.5 x 3.5 size – I didn’t realize just how small that was!

I selected the heart symbol as it is one of my favorites and also because it’s February. Last weekend, over two days, I made two. One I really like because it’s 3D – Butterflies in My Heart. The heart is only stitched down the middle. That one was fabric, using hand and machine stitching and beading.
Heart Sight is painted paper towel background with a fabric heart symbol, and machine and hand stitching and beading. It took two days to do these, plus four more that are works in progress.
By the end of the weekend, I’d lost interest in the heart theme, really bored with it. (I’m also working on a wall quilt with heart shapes.) After the weekend, I was already considering backing out of the ATC swap. By Tuesday, it was pretty much decided to withdraw. Too much of a distraction. Too many unfinished projects that need work. And too much going on at work to dedicate any time.

On Thursday, I withdrew my name. So that is my short-lived experience with an ATC swap.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: