Monday, July 24, 2006

This will be my first attempt at posting pictures ... here goes. First Lesson: They don't attach where you want them to attach ... they attach at the top of the blog. I've checked the help messages and can't find the answer to this (yet.)

This postcard is called "Say Goodbye to Blue Monday". When I was growing up, Monday was laundry day. On breezy days, my Grandmother would hang laundry out on the line to dry. With fabric this colorful, there would be no washday blues! This was a lot of fun to do. The beads and charms are from an old necklace of my mother's. I enjoy adding her things to my art; she was quite an artist with needlework, knitting, sewing, millinery. I fused the fabric but pulled up the bottom portion of most of the pieces to better represent the breeze blowing the clothes line.




This postcard is called "Ties and Other Relationships." I see relationships being created in my journey into art making. I learned how to do this form of crazy quilting at a workshop by Keeley Barham
http://www.itsmysite.com/FabricFrogDesigns/. It's fun and quick and a great way to use scraps. I like the shapes that are created. The burgundy and gold fabric is an old tie that was part of the fabric stash in one of the art sessions with my mixed media instructor, Odile Nicolette http://www.thearttour.com/index.htm. To carry the theme, I tied the quilt with furry yarn fibers.



This one is called "From the Scrap Drawer to the Mail". I used the same crazy quilting technique, using more of my scraps in an artful way. I have a stash of red heart buttons and thought three needed to go on this postcard. I love the concept of using these small pieces of donated art to raise money for the ACS.



The next postcard is one of my first small quilts, created just after I had received my sewing machine at Christmas. It's called "Happiness Knocks". The blue bird of happiness is so elusive, but once one flies by you, the memory of that joy remains forever. The bird is scanned from a painting I did last year.


This postcard is called "Home is Where the Heart Is". It is an early attempt to fuse and raw edge applique. The bird is scanned from a painting I did last year.

I love this cause and hope my donations will be fruitful.



No comments: