Sunday, January 06, 2019

2018 Art

2018 was filled with moving and adjusting to my new art space; not filled with a doing a lot of art. I began to knit again, finding a passion of long ago. I found a project online (WarmUpAmerica) and decided to make an afghan. I made 40+ squares, in different patterns but don't enjoy the "fixing up" of weaving in strands of yarn, etc. That project is waiting for inspiration. My granddaughter asked me to make her a blanket; she selected the yarn. It turned out lovely, and was a lot of fun.


Then I heard of an organization that sends scarves to overseas military. Operation Gratitude. So I made a bunch of scarves in different patterns. I've finished 9 ... when I reach a dozen, I'll send them off.


I backed off from digital memory keeping and art. Just couldn't find the inspiration. Here are a few pieces I completed:



I started a new art form ... stitched meditations. The process of collaging different fabrics, hand stitching and beading is very calming, soothing. Just what I needed for this transition year. I created a little book.



But the most fun I've had in a long time is weaving with my new toy. I bought a kids loom, figuring if I liked weaving I can always upgrade to a better one.



Well, I absolutely have fallen in love with this art form. Here are my first three pieces:

#1. Trying it out.

I made this one for my granddaughter, using some of the yarn from her blanket.


#3. Weaving with yarn and sari silk, embellished with beads

Looking back, I guess I did create a lot. Looking ahead, I'm trying to determine what kinds of projects I want to pursue. There is so much I could do ... where will my passion be this year?

2 comments:

jacki long said...

Wow Jan, you have wonderful creations, all of them.
I predict 2019 will be amazing too! ;o)

Jan's Art and Musings said...

Thanks, Jacki!