Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Scrappy Journal #30

A Bit of This, A Bit of That
Scrappy Journal # 30

This book is inspired by Remains of the Day (pages) and Full Tilt Boogie (exposed spine sewn tape binding), classes offered online by MaryAnn MossIt includes a variety of papers, including scrapbook, painted and gelli prints, paper bags, and plain cardstock. The pages are embellished to create visual interest as well as pockets, flaps, and little places to tuck photos and things. Machine stitching to add things to pages; hand stitching for binding. Covers are an old repurposed book. A fabric collage is attached to the front cover. There are 8 signatures with 3 or 4 folios each; approximately 134 pages!



Unfilled, this book is a piece of art, created to be visually stimulating, with some pages left blank to give the eye a place to rest. There is some consideration to page placement, but mostly I generally place colors together that are pleasing to me.

I generally use my scrappy journals to “document life.” I love looking back at them to remember what was going on at a particular time. They are like small snapshots of life. They are more interesting (to me) than a regular scrapbook or photo album because photos and text intermingle with found images, papers, and "junque."

I'm working on a few that I'll list on Etsy. I love making these and I love it when they go out into the world.

1 comment:

Wendy @ the Late Start Studio said...

Very cool Jan . . . I like the variety.