Saturday, August 18, 2007

Connections 1

Inspired by Sonji Hunt, this piece has been a LOT of FUN! I was curious about how to make a quilt that had floating pieces -- how to connect them. I love Sonji's architectural pieces that are so connected and disconnected. I also had purchased some of her painted fabrics, which I added to some fabric that I painted and began playing. Each "block" is a mini-quilt with top fabric, heavy interfacing, and cotton duck back fabric. Because it's painted fabric, each of the mini-quilts were quite sturdy. I did some decorative quilting, not a lot because I wanted to focus on the connections. To connect I used eyelets and wire, floss, I machine stitched some sections together, and added hand cross stitches in other areas. Some sections are stitched to a heavy netting that a friend brought me from Brazil. I cut it away except for the middle section. I haven't yet thought out how to hang this. Right now it's attached to foam core board, which provides a nice black background. It's called Connections 1 because I definitely will explore further ways to creatively link "blocks." Thanks, Sonji, for being such an inspiration!




2 comments:

Sonji Hunt said...

Thank you for the compliment, Jan. Great idea using the netting. Your design is very fabric flattering.

Grangry said...

You did a good job. Sonji will be proud of you!