Thursday, July 05, 2007

Art Lessons Continued

Last week's art lessons were all about color. I must say I didn't enjoy the "lessons" much and kept doing other stuff. Is there some resistance to this? Do I just want to have fun???



Here is a monochromatic study. One of theings I realize is that my stash of fabric doesn't include a lot of contrast. However I did use 8 blue fabrics.
and here is one of my favorite color combinations -- purple and yellow. I love this contrasting combination. There are 7 violets and 6 yellows
this was a study in analogous colors -- reds and violoets. I made a large crazy patchwork piece, using purples and reds, which I used for the cutouts. The background has 7 fabrics. I placed the cutouts on a neutral yellowish fabric for contrast.
I do like working with black and white. I added to my stash of b/w fabrics so I'd have more of a range. I also love a pop of red.
for this one I concentrated on a radiating composition and tried to gain contrast with the black and white fabrics.
Viewing each piece, especially once they are on the computer, allows me to see how I could improve them. I suppose that is what these lessons are all about!
One of the things I'm realizing is that working in a series would be really helpful to "master" something ... I admire all the series created by many of the art fabric artists. I even bought Deborah's book. My problem is that I'm always trying something new ... so I'd need to give some serious thought to what I'd really like to "master."

No comments: